What Is Glaucoma Surgery?
If left untreated, glaucoma can cause optic nerve damage, vision loss, and total blindness. Early detection is critical when it comes to treating glaucoma. However, surgery may be necessary if detected in later stages or for complex cases. Glaucoma surgery is often performed to decrease the progression of the condition by creating a way for the fluid in the eye to drain better. For more information about glaucoma surgery, contact Heart of America Eye Care at one of our locations in Belton, MO or Shawnee Mission, or Overland Park, KS.
"Staffs are friendly. Dr Edwards is very nice, patient and explains everything very throughly."- V.C. / Google / May 26, 2023
"I've been seen by Dr. Cline for a number of years and have been impressed with her knowledge, her thoroughness, and her pleasant demeanor. She ha a good staff support."- A.T. / Healthgrades / Mar 06, 2023
"Dr. Kwapiszeski (Dr. K) is the most thorough, and detailed, ophthalmologist I’ve ever experienced, concerning my eye care. He takes the extra time to examine (and then re-examine) your concerns, to diagnose any issue methodically (and he’ll get it right)! He’s a serious guy, but he’s genuine, and will take the time to answer all your concerns (in great detail). There’s a reason why Dr.K is known as one of the top eyecare physicians in the field. If you’re looking for someone who’s got the answers, look no further than Dr.K. The only critiques, I can consider, is that his intellectualism can be intimidating (and over my head), and landing an appointment, can take several weeks (at no fault of his own). He’s very popular, and sought after (in the community), but, he’s well worth the wait! In my opinion (and I research, to find the best physicians) he’s the best ophthalmologist, in the KC Metro region."- J.S. / Google / Jul 26, 2022
"A medical condition forced me to do a walk-in w/o a prior appointment. Dr. Ciccio worked me in without any hesitation. She diagnosed my problem and listened attentively to my concerns. I would highly recommend her to anyone."- J. / Healthgrades / Jun 02, 2022
"Dr. Carter is brilliant at what she does. The Best"- R.S. / Google / Jul 26, 2021
How Is Glaucoma Surgery Performed?
At Heart of America Eye Care, we offer conventional and laser surgical options for glaucoma. Our eye surgeons perform these procedures in a state-of-the-art surgical center in Prairie Village, KS, where they have access to the latest tools and technologies. We are proud to provide the following surgical options:
- Trabeculoplasty: Treats open-angle glaucoma. A laser is used to open clogged channels in the drainage meshwork (the trabecular meshwork) to improve fluid drainage.
- Iridotomy or Iridectomy: Treats open- or narrow-angle glaucoma. A laser creates a hole in the iris so fluid can flow more easily.
- Cycloablation: Treats open-angle glaucoma. A laser is used to treat the part of the eye that connects the iris and choroid to reduce fluid production.
- Trabeculectomy: Treats open- and closed-glaucoma. An incision is made in the white of the eye, and part of the trabecular meshwork is removed to help fluid drain.
- Drainage implant: Two or three iStents® are placed in the eye to allow intraocular fluid to more easily reach the drainage system. This lowers the intraocular pressure and may reduce the need for glaucoma medications.
- Glaucoma Drainage Device: These devices consist of a tube connected to a plate. The tube is inserted into the eye to route fluid out of the eye and onto the plate, which serves as a reservoir. In this manner, the glaucomatous eye’s faulty natural drainage system can be bypassed and the eye’s pressure is reduced.
Surgical Options For Glaucoma Management
It can be scary to be diagnosed with glaucoma. You may fear that you'll lose your eyesight or have difficulty doing everyday tasks. However, glaucoma can be treated with conventional and surgical options that can drastically help slow the progression of the condition. The skilled eye specialists at Heart of America Eye Care are here to help and offer a number of treatment options for glaucoma. For more information about your treatment options, contact any one of our locations in Shawnee Mission or Overland Park, KS, or Belton, MO.